Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Prague. Graffiti city.

Looking back on our time in Prague, it was not what I expected. I suppose when you hear the city's name, you think of a majestic city that is super wealthy, beautiful and perfect. At least that is what I expected it to be. The first thing we noticed was all the graffiti that covered all the buildings, trains, and buses. Sadly it ruined the beauty that the city was suppose to portray. Might I also add that we had no idea the currency was not the euro, it was a crown? So we see that a pasta dish is 200 crowns, and freaked out. Luckily, that only ends up being about twelve dollars.
The first night we were there it was pretty late, so we aimlessly found our hotel, and used the rest of the night planning our next day. Yesterday we woke up and filled up on the so called breakfast "buffet" at our hotel (cereal, bread, and coffee), and walked toward the big plaza in town. We came across a lot of huge intricate architecture, that all seemed to of been built at least 100 years ago. I loved the fact that almost every restaurant had outside seating, something I think America needs more of. We went on a Prague castle tour, which is the largest coherent castle in the world. It was an amazing view of Prague from the castle, and there was also a cathedral in the middle of the castle that had stain glass windows all down the sides and at each end of the sanctuary. It was beautiful, to say the least. We also got to see the changing of the guards. Veronica and I couldn't help but laugh at the seriousness of it all. How they stand for an hour without cracking a smile, I will never know. After the tour we were starving, so we grabbed a gyro and gelato back in the plaza, which by far has been my favorite meal. ( and cheapest too!) we walked around for a little bit until the evening, and went to see live jazz in a bar/restaurant. I have fallen in love with that genre of music. I wouldn't be too surprised if that is all i listen to when I get home.
Today we traveled to Vienna, Austria. We will be here till thursday. I'm excited to see what this city has to offer! It hasn't been too impresive so far, considering we have just walked down one street. I have started reading " vintage Jesus", and hopefully I will be done before we leave. It has occurred to me how much time we don't give ourselves to just sit and meditate, and i have decided to give myself some time out of every week we are here to be by myself and do my own thing. It's been very nice, being able to collect all my thoughts and get some writing in. The lord is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment